OCCUPATIONAL SUMMARY: To maintain all production machines and equipment in an efficient mechanical operating condition, performing overhaul and/or repair as needed. To install and check out new machines and equipment. Includes the installation and maintenance of electrical systems instrumentation, CNC Machine Controls and the responsibility for complying with all electrical and structural safety codes and practices. To perform all general and preventive maintenance work involving several trades.
1. Performs major mechanical maintenance work on all machines and equipment including
complex machine tools, fabricating machines, welding and processing equipment, material
handling equipment and permanent installations.
2. Performs general and preventive maintenance work, inspect machines and equipment for
efficient functioning, and diagnose breakdowns in operations.
3. Determines need for repairs, overhaul, mechanical servicing or replacement of parts or
mechanisms. Applies the most expedient methods to restore machine or equipment
operation within a minimum of down time.
4. Carries out such work as dismantling or partially dismantling machines or equipment;
removing and replacing worn or defective parts or mechanisms; reassembling, machines or
equipment; oiling and greasing moving parts or operating mechanisms, cleaning machines
5. Sets up and operates drill presses, power saws, grinders and other machine tools to perform
basic machine operations on parts or mechanisms, works to moderate tolerances. Also
operates power wood-working equipment and uses mechanics’ hand tools
6. Responsible for close machining to be performed on complex parts or mechanisms.
Responsible for replacement parts or operating mechanisms.
7. Makes all necessary checkouts and adjustments to machine or equipment required for
proper operation, prior to turning over to the department, assuring that machines and
equipment are performing in a safe operating condition.
8. Plans work, including making sketches of parts to be repaired. Makes requests for
9. Diagnoses and repairs CNC controls. In familiarity with integration of controls and
mechanical parts of machines.
10. Plans and lays out work from detailed assembly and installation blueprints and
manufacturer’s specification sheets, using required shop mathematics and measuring
11. Performs installation of standard fixtures and accessories for electrical systems and
equipment to furnish light and power for plant operations. May perform routine
maintenance and servicing of designated portions of electrical systems and equipment as
12. Performs all electro-mechanical operations needed to remove, dismantle, disassemble,
repair and install or adjust defective electrical devices comprising of product systems or
equipment test systems or equipment prior to release for operation assuring that all safety
factors have been attended to during and after conclusion of work. Works according to
state, municipal and underwriter’s specifications, codes and ordinances.
13. Tests system or equipment prior to release for operation. Uses electrician’s hand tools,
soldering irons, blow torch and electrical testing and measuring
14. May function as liaison with city and state inspectors, including obtaining required permits
15. Coordinates with management all safety procedure compliance. Must be thoroughly
familiar with standard safety practices, both mechanical and electrical as well as
Occupation Safety and Hazard Act regulations. Safety is of primary concern and will be
strictly observed at all times.
16. Provides assistance and guidance to others, as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENTIAL REQUIREMENTS:
A. High School Diploma or Equivalent and two year’s vocational tech. plus supplier’s courses.
B. Three years experience with machine maintenance.
C. Computer literate.
D. CNC maintenance language familiarity.